integrated, holistic health care
What is integrated care?
“Integrated health care” is another way to say that we care for the whole person. Heartland’s holistic approach to health care involves treating patients in a way that ensures that all needs- physical, emotional, mental, social and spiritual- are being cared for.
Everyone needs help from time to time. It’s amazing how helpful it can be to have an unbiased third party listen to your concerns, help with a little problem solving, or suggest new ways to skillfully manage difficult situations.
-Karin Denes-Collar, Behavioral Health Consultant
Behavioral Health Consultation
Through a partnership with the Bert Nash Center, a Behavioral Health Consultant offers brief, immediate support to Heartland providers and their patients in areas such as mental health concerns, coping with chronic illness and life problems, and behavioral change assistance in a variety of areas such as weight loss, medication compliance, and lifestyle change.
The Behavioral Health Consultant will provide immediate and personal follow-up to the Heartland primary care provider including findings and recommendations. Heartland’s onsite Behavioral Health Consultant, Karin Denes-Collar, is a Licensed Specialist Clinical Social Worker.
What type of services does the Behavioral Health Consultant offer?
- Assessment of mental health and substance abuse concerns to help guide a physician’s treatment
- Close collaboration with our primary care providers at and between primary care visits
- Help with crisis management
- Brief therapy for focused concerns—this usually is completed within 2-3 months or intermittently over several months
- Help in making behavior changes to make chronic illnesses easier to manage, such as weight loss, diet changes and medication compliance
- Referral to other community resources and other therapists when needed (i.e. specialty services when someone will benefit from more than brief therapy)
- All interventions are guided by attention to an individual’s spiritual needs and discussion of how spirituality impacts a patient’s life is frequently initiated.
- Patients are offered an opportunity to pray if that is helpful to them and are encouraged to ask for prayer.
Health Coaching and Care Coordination with AmeriCorps
Heartland’s AmeriCorps members meet with patients for additional health support, beyond the care provided by the medical providers. Health coaching with an AmeriCorps member focuses on nutrition, exercise, and chronic disease management, as well as smoking cessation. AmeriCorps members work with patients to help create individualized behavior change plans. Meeting with an AmeriCorps member is free to all Heartland patients.
AmeriCorps members work with medical staff to provide care coordination. Care coordination includes:
- Scheduling routine follow up visits
- Offering supportive phone calls
- Connecting patients with medication assistance programs offered through pharmaceutical companies
AmeriCorps members assist new patients through the intake process, before establishing care with a primary care physician. Services of our AmeriCorps members are available to all patients at no charge. Please let your provider know if you are interested in working with their health coach to improve your health.
Behavioral Health Providers are available to existing Heartland patients through our main phone line 785.841.7297 or during a primary care visit.