JOBS AT HEARTLAND
Heartland is currently seeking a dynamic Communications Coordinator with roots in the Lawrence community to join the Heartland team. Qualified candidates should have strong graphics and social media management experience and be able to further increase awareness of and rally interest in Heartland’s mission of providing affordable, holistic healthcare for low-income community members in Douglas and surrounding counties.
The Communications Coordinator, under the direction of the Director of Community Relations, plans and coordinates all of Heartland Community Health Center’s public relations, advertising, communication, designing, marketing, and branding activities. The Communications Coordinator promotes awareness and understanding of patient services, policies, projects, outreach/fundraising events and issues through proactive communication with health center patients, families, employees, volunteers, donors, news media, community organizations, businesses and special interest groups.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Implements and manages Heartland’s public relations/advertising campaigns.
- Designs and implements external marketing and communications programs promoting awareness of the goals and activities of the health center to patients, their families, the business community and community leaders.
- Identifies and develops appropriate tools for reaching various public groups.
- Creates, designs and develops a variety of publications including newsletters, flyers, brochures, online communications and other written materials, displays, audio-visual and photographic presentations.
- Develops and implements public information campaigns to advise media and public of critical issues and activities. Serves as liaison, under the direction of the Director of Community Relations, with local media.
- Evaluates effectiveness of external communication approaches.
- Performs graphic design work and coordinates printing and distribution services.
- Assists with planning and design work surrounding outreach and fundraising activities and events.
- Develops and grows relationships with community partners along with Director of Community Relations.
- Provides information and support to leadership on general communication issues and solutions.
- Maintains the Heartland website and shares events on community calendars.
- Develops and implements social media strategies for Facebook, Twitter and Wellcommons.
- Matures, maintains and promotes the Brand of Heartland.
- Directs and guides the formulation of an overall marketing plan
- Identifies areas of opportunity to increase market share.
- Utilizes creative means to cost-effectively leverage resources to market the brand and services of Heartland.
- Assists with advocacy efforts both locally and state-wide.
- Performs other work as assigned or requested.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of public relations, mass communications, marketing and branding.
- Knowledge of public information activities including patient involvement and media interaction.
- Excellent written communication skills.
- Excellent verbal communication and public speaking skills.
- Experience in graphic design and photoshop.
- Knowledge of and experience in Adobe Creative Suite programs, especially Illustrator.
- Experience with WordPress as website CMS.
- Experience with a variety of social media platforms.
- Ability to gather, compile, analyze, edit and interpret data.
- Ability to utilize group facilitation methods and techniques.
- Experience in planning and conducting an effective public information/communication program.
- Ability to utilize budget management techniques.
- Willingness to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, the public and representative of the media and other community agencies.
- Familiarity with health care and social service-related issues are a plus.
- High energy, positive, “can-do” attitude, flexibility, teamwork, and attention to detail; high degree of initiative.
- Handles emergency or crisis situations (e.g. press releases or announcements)
- Occasional long and irregular hours.
- Subject to many interruptions.
- Must function in high stress, fast paced environment.
Requires sufficient visual acuity to be able to read and write and operate equipment common to this position. Required to read, write and speak English with the ability to speak a foreign language helpful. Requires sufficient hearing level to be able to effectively communicate with people directly or by telephone. Occasionally lift items weighing up to 25 pounds. May spend many continuous hours at a desk and working from a computer.
- Hours M – F from 9 am – 5 pm
- Hours are approximate and may be altered by supervisor(s) as needed
- Full-Time staff are eligible for enrollment in Heartland’s health plans after 3 months of full-time employment and for matching funds with Heartland IRA plan after one year of full-term employment.
- Paid Time Off (PTO) & Paid Holidays
Please send resumes and cover letters do firstname.lastname@example.org