integrated, holistic health care
What is integrated care?
Mental & Behavioral Health
Heartland’s behavioral health team offers scheduled ongoing care or immediate support to Heartland providers and their patients. Our behavioral health consultants can assist in areas such as mental health concerns, coping with chronic illness and life problems, and behavioral change assistance in a variety of areas such as weight loss, medication compliance, and lifestyle change.
Our behavioral health consultants provide immediate and personal follow-up to the Heartland primary care provider on findings and recommendations. In addition, Heartland offers on-site and tele-health psychiatry care that is integrated with our primary care providers to treat the whole person.
What type of services does the Behavioral Health Consultant offer?
- Assessment of mental health and substance abuse concerns to help guide a physician’s treatment
- Close collaboration with our primary care providers at and between primary care visits
- Help with crisis management
- Brief therapy for focused concerns—this usually is completed within 2-3 months or intermittently over several months
- Help in making behavior changes to make chronic illnesses easier to manage, such as weight loss, diet changes and medication compliance
- Referral to other community resources and other therapists when needed (i.e. specialty services when someone will benefit from more than brief therapy)
- All interventions are guided by attention to an individual’s spiritual needs and discussion of how spirituality impacts a patient’s life is frequently initiated.
- Patients are offered an opportunity to pray if that is helpful to them and are encouraged to ask for prayer.
Health Coaching and Care Coordination with Behavioral Health
Heartland’s Behavioral Health Consultants (BHC) and Care Teams meet with patients for additional health support, beyond the care provided by the medical providers. Health coaching with a BHC member focuses on nutrition, exercise, and chronic disease management, as well as smoking cessation. BHC’s members work with patients to help create individualized behavior change plans.